Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I discover RSS

I had a few initial hiccups in subscribing to feeds. I clicked on the icons as instructed in the training video, but somehow ended up having these feeds saved in some very strange location on my computer's harddrive (at least I think this is what happened. In several years time, I may be able to discover their fate and whereabouts!) Finally I conquered the art of adding feeds, which was actually quite a proud moment. That is definatly one advantage to finding this stuff so difficult, the self-actualisation that results when things do what you mean them to!!

I really enjoyed the photos on the Powerhouse museum photoblog. I was particularly excited to see the beautiful photo of the chairs from the Paragon cafe in Katoomba. I come from the Blue Mountains originally, and can remember many cold mountains days spend drinking hot chocolate in the Paragon. As a kid, I always thought it was the most interesting and luxurious cafe - always did like that art deco style.

I tried searching for other library blogs to subscribe to, in order to get a feel for the ways this technology is currently being used by libraries. I was particularly interested in the ways that libraries used blogs to attract younger patrons, and advertise upcoming events. It seems a fantastic opportunity to reach teens by having a blog they can subscribe to, thus ensuring they are aware of all upcoming events. The biggest challenge I have found in orgainsing events for young people is trying to reach them through publicity. Advertising events in the library only really works if they already use the library, and can't really attract new users, but by presenting a blog, if they can be encouraged to subscribe to it, allows us to reach a whole new lot of teens. I guess the challenge then becomes making the blog attractive enough for kids to want to subscribe.

I was particularly impressed by the Mosman library blog, particularly the attractive pictures that accompanied the posts. The beautiful image of the sun-bathed lop-sided fence that headed the post about the legal information kits avalible was a good example.

Finally, the warning offered in the training video on u-tube was very relevant. Checking all the new incoming information and reading the new posts could really become a great way to spend lots of time!!

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Well now you've conquered RSS, you'll be spending even more time on your computer! The curse of the library person - I'll just look at one more thing...

Keep on discovering and enjoying!

Victoria