Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I had previously come across wikipedia and used it quite a bit to find out random information or find answers to trivial questions that came up. I had no idea that it came from a larger type of website that had functions other than allowing everyone to answer trivia. I can see how having a centralised place for people to share information and ideas could be very useful in a library context. When organising activities for young people, I often looked at other libraries' websites for inspiration or to find out what other libarians had found effective, however, using a wiki such as the library success story took this to a whole new level by allowing questions to be posed and answered, as well as ideas and feedback shared.

I can also see how wikis could be used to gain customer feedback and suggestions for the library. I am always seeking to gain teen involvement in the library and find out what books/activities they might like to see happen, and this allows this type of communication. Of course, there would always be the danger of graffiti and inappropriate comments, but I guess regular monitering of the site could minimise this.

No comments: